02 Jul Summary of 2019 ICD-10 Code Additions/Revisions/Deletions
The Center for Disease Control released the 2019 ICD-10 CM codes which are effective October 1, 2018 through September 31, 2019. The release includes 279 new codes, 51 deleted codes, and 143 revised codes. As of October 1, 2018, there will be 71,932 active ICD-10 CM codes.
The following chapters have the most changes:
- Chapter 2: Neoplasms – all 45 new codes in this chapter are related to the upper/lower eyelids right or left eye
- Chapter 7: Diseases of the Eye and Adnexa – now specify upper or lower lids
- Chapter 11: Diseases of the Digestive System – 15 new codes some demonstrating a breakout of generalized versus localized peritonitis in association with acute appendicitis – additionally five deleted codes and one revised
- Chapter 14: Diseases of the Genitourinary System – 17 new codes related to urethral strictures to further specify anatomy, underlying cause and patient gender – plus two deleted codes and one revised
- Chapter 15: Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Puerperium – 18 new codes covering triplets, quadruplets and other specified multiple gestations
- Chapter 16: Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period – 25 new codes dealing with newborn complications related to maternal drug use, metabolic disorders in the newborn and newborns affected by the Zika Virus – 5 deleted codes to be replaced with more specific new codes
- Chapter 19: Injury, Poisoning, and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes – 54 new codes, 3 deleted and 87 revised
The chapters noted above have the most changes. Chapters 1, 3, and 8 have no new, deleted or revised codes. Every practice should review and be aware of changes that affect them.
Most code revisions were spacing or spelling corrections. Meridian Medical Management has identified the revision for each code and has outlined the changes within the attached spreadsheet. All new, deleted and revised codes are sorted by ICD-10 CM chapters for ease of use by Meridian clients.
Find out more here: https://www.m3meridian.com/medical-management-resources/training/